The Army Air Corps Historic Aircraft Flight (AHAF) is based at Middle Wallop in Hampshire. The flight currently includes
Auster AOP9 (XR244), Saro Skeeter AOP9 (XL814), DHC2 Beaver AL1 (XP820), Sud Alouette AH2 (XR379),
Westland Scout AH1 (XT626/Q), Augusta-Bell 47G-3 Sioux AH1 (XT131/B), and DHC1 Chipmunk T10 (WD325/N) .
The aim of the AHAF is to maintain out-of-service Army fixed wing aircraft and helicopters in flying condition for publicity, posterity, the promotion of esprit de corps and for recruiting purposes.
Army Air Corps Historic Aircraft Flight (AHAF)
Auster AOP Mk 9 (XR 244)
Auster AOP Mk 9 (XR 244) at Waddington in 2005
The Auster AOP Mk 9 replaced the AOP Mk 6 in 1956 and continued in service for 10 years.
XR 244 was built at Rearsby in 1961. She has remained at Middle Wallop for all of her operational life in the training role. In her final years she was used to train pilots in the art of Forward Air Controlling and other fixed wing flying training in readiness for the introduction of the Beaver. XR 244 officially transferred to the Historic Aircraft Flight on 11 September 1981.
Saunders Roe Skeeter AOP Mk 12 (XL 814)
Saunders Roe Skeeter AOP Mk 12 (XL 814)
The Air Observation Post (AOP) duties performed by the fixed-winged Auster aircraft were to be replaced by the helicopter.
In 1957 the Saunders Roe Skeeter was chosen as the first operational helicopter for the Army Air Corps.
XL 814 was built in 1959 and delivered to 651 Light Aircraft Squadron as part of 2 Wing AAC. She served in the UK until 1964 when she was transferred to 1 Wing AAC in July 1965. She remained in BAOR until July 1968 when she returned to Middle Wallop prior to being transferred to the Museum of Army Flying in December of that year. XL 814 was then flown only occasionally by the Development and Trials Squadron until she officially joined the Historic Aircraft Flight in 1980.
Skeeter AOP Mk 12 (XL 814) has been declared unserviceable and in July 2003 withdrawn from the team for several years but another Skeeter may will be leased.
De Havilland Beaver AL Mk 1(XP 820)
De Havilland Beaver AL Mk 1(XP 820) at Waddington in 2005
The Canadian built De Havilland Beaver AL Mk 1 entered service in 1961 to undertake the medium range requirement for communications flying. The Beaver also proved effective when the type became the Army's primary surveillance platform in Northern Ireland.
XP 820 was issued to the AAC in October 1961 and saw service in the far East and Singapore before being shipped back to the UK at Old Sarum, Wiltshire. moving to Netheravon, Wiltshire in 1970. She finished her active service at the AAC Centre, Middle Wallop before being transferred to the Historic Aircraft Flight in May 1989.
Sud Aviation Alouette II (XR 379)
Sud Aviation Alouette II (XR 379) at Waddington 2005
In 1960 a small number of Alouette helicopters were purchased to replace the Skeeter helicopter and Auster fixed wing aircraft
because of problems which were delaying the introduction of the Scout helicopter.
XR 379 was delivered as F-WIEN in May 1961 to Middle Wallop. Originally numbered XJ 379, but was corrected some time later to XR 379. Her first operational unit was 18 Flight AAC, based at Detmold in BAOR where she was taken on charge on 19 June 1961. She was transferred to the Historic Aircraft Flight on 25 July 1990.
Westland Scout AH Mk 1 (XT 626)
Westland Scout AH Mk 1 (XT 626) at Waddington in 2005
The Westland Scout is one of the few helicopters of British design to have been built in quantity. The type has proved its operational versatility, operating in the close-support, liaison, light freight, medivac, communication, reconnaissance, SAR and training roles. Small numbers of the Scout were exported, mainly to Jordan, Australia, Bahrain and Uganda.
XT 626 joined the Historic Aircraft Flight on 30 March 1994.
Agusta-Bell Sioux AH Mk 1 (XT 131)
Agusta-Bell Sioux AH Mk 1 (XT 131) at Waddington in 2005
The Agusta-Bell Sioux were initially built by Agusta Spa at Gallerate in Italy in 1964 but were built in Yeovil in the spring of 1965. The civil equivalent to the Agusta-built Sioux is Agusta-Bell 47G-3B-1.
XT 131 was taken on charge by the AAC at Middle Wallop on 3 July 1964 and for the duration of her military service was used for flying training and engineering familiarisation at Middle Wallop. The Sioux is probably the best known of military helicopters, especially after the success of the film, and then the television series 'MASH'.
De Havilland Chipmunk T10 (WD 325)
De Havilland Chipmunk T10 (WD 325) at Waddington in 2005
The Chipmunk was used as the basic trainer for all Army Pilots from the early 1950s onwards. The Chipmunk T10 was popular as a trainer being easy to handle on the ground as well as in the air. At its peak the School of Army Aviation operated 21 aircraft in daily use prior to their out of service date in March 1997.
WD 325 is the most recent aicraft to join the Historic Aircraft Flight.